Monday, June 10, 2013

June 10

Hello to my wonderful family! My goodness it's been a crazy week! Everything is going by SO FAST! I keep having people ask me how long I've been out and give the standard answer "9 months..." Crazy enough I'm almost at my 10 month mark! I really cannot believe how fast time goes but I am grateful for it. I know if we weren't busy doing the Lord's work that time would slow WAY down and I'd miss/think about you all way too much. I know the Lord is definitely blessing me with business.
We had a good week, though. Everyone is so nice here in our ward and branch. We get fed WAY too much (everyone has dessert) and get lots of offers of meals and open doors. It's really nice to be able to know that we can go to most any members house and know we will be welcomed in at any time during the day. Sister Thompson and I have been made a "full car" area so we don't have to walk. But we end up walking anyway because we've got to keep under our mileage limit for the month... I will be extremely grateful not to have to worry about that anymore.
We found 3 new investigators this week; I'm not use to having scheduled appointments so it's nice to have some of our days filling up. One of our investigators is Ronny. He is from Honduras and has only been here for about 8 months...he doesn't speak English. We don't speak Spanish. Lessons are interesting. We have found a member team up but Ronny is leaving for work tomorrow. He is a brick layer so he goes where the work is. Even though our communication hasn't been real great I know that Ronny is feeling the Spirit. He is sincerely interested in the gospel and why we believe/do the different things we do. We are really excited about him and hope to be able to help him to progress; slowly but surely.
Okay, so maybe the week wasn't as crazy as I thought. I think because we are out and about ALL day that it seems like crazier things happen... Not so much. We did try to find a former investigator on Lake Tapawingo the other day but didn't feel good about going there so we drove around looking for someone else. Lake Tapawingo is gorgeous, though! Well, I think it is. There are houses all around the lake with decks right into the water. It's a beautiful little community but not real missionary-friendly; not anywhere to park.
I am absolutely loving the beauty of Missouri! I seriously never thought I would say this. I always thought that Utah was a pretty green place. NOT SO! You can see green everywhere in Missouri. Winter was pretty brown and ugly but summer is fantastic. I was so confused about no one having sprinkler systems but now I understand why-they don't need them! The spring brought enough rain to make the trees/greenery grow and flourish. I think I have a picture I will try to send but it really doesn't do the countryside justice. I have decided that I will have to bring you all back here. Not in February. We'll have to come out in late May or early June so you can see the beauty I am trying to describe. I guess we could come in the fall, too. That was absolutely gorgeous as well. I get the opportunity to be in Lee's Summit quite a bit and I think you would all love to live there. Wide open spaces with lush green lawns and lots of trees. I think the only thing missing is Mom's mountain view. It really is absolutely beautiful!
Last night we were on our way to the visitor center to take Ronny through some of the presentations. We had a couple (the Tolentino's) taking us up there to help teach/translate but also to save on miles. We never did quite make it. As we were stopped at a light we got rear-ended. Pushed us into the truck in front of us; squished the trunk up quite badly. No worries, though. Everyone is alive and well. S. Thompson and I were a bit achy last night but feel fine this morning. Don't worry about me; I'm good. Thought I'd better let you know, though. I am just grateful that everyone was okay and no one was seriously injured. Sister Tolentino was a bit upset that the Hummer that hit us didn't have any damage.
So, I had to tell you that story so I could tell you about the cop. I'm still not 100% sure that I liked him. Anyway, when all was said and done he just stood around chatting (S. Thompson said it was because he had an audience...) He looked at S. Thompson and I and said he was worried we hadn't said anything. I told him that I was just there to teach of Jesus Christ so if he wanted me to I could talk all night. Officer Walker said he'd talk about anything but the Book of Mormon. "Oh, then we'll just continue to being quite." "No, let me get my Bible and we can go at it all night. I'm a Baptist." Sister Thompson and I just looked at each other then said "Nope, we're not here to argue with you." He was quite surprised! He wanted to know what we did if we didn't argue. Well, we just teach! We love the Bible AND the Book of Mormon but we don't argue about either one. Brother Brailsford (we live with them, gave us a ride home) let us know how good we had done. I was pretty proud of myself... didn't think we had done that much.
Well, yeah... That was my week. We are learning the area. I am glad to be here. It's hard stuff proselyting all day but I like it. I am grateful for the members of the ward and branch. I am grateful for the Elders we get to serve with (Elder Sjoblom and Elder Thomas); I would be lost if we didn't have Elders in the ward as well. This week I am so grateful for tender mercies. I received mail exactly when I needed it. I have had words of love and affirmation from fellow children of God at just the right time. The sun has shined when I needed it to. Sister Thompson is fantastic; I am more than grateful for her. We have found people to talk to or teach. God is good. This is His work. This is His gospel. I know it is true. I love each one of you and am so grateful to have you as my family. I know God sent me to be with you... I couldn't have picked a family so fantastic. I keep you in my thoughts and prayers. LOVE YOU TONS!
Sister Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment