Tuesday, February 5, 2013

February 5 - (Almost my 6 month mark!)

Hello, everyone! I was so grateful to hear from most of you! I have successfully survived another week and actually lived to tell about my first transfer where I was the one moving. First things first, though. A brief overview on how I spent my last little bit in Liberty...
We didn't do a whole lot; just a lot of teaching and preaching, ya know? Our big day was last Wednesday, January 30. Sister Lewis and I had the privilege of going to the temple with Ernestine!!! It was the most wonderful way to end my time in Liberty. Ernestine kept saying how the temple was like a "hotel in heaven" it was really great. S. Lewis and I had gone through a session before then met Ernestine and S. Kesler in the baptistry. Ernestine told the man baptising her that she knew she was in the right church because she was deathly afraid of water going over her head but had absolutely no problem doing baptisms for the dead. It was great! And, Ern was the only one there doing baptisms so it was very personalized. She was thrilled to tell us as she was changing that her husband, Carl, had said he wanted to be baptized, too! Such great news, really. I'm glad I wasn't around to tell him he couldn't be baptized on Ernestine's birthday (February 10)--He's working on Word of Wisdom issues and hasn't been to church; those are prerequisites. Carl is a great person, though, and I know that one day he will enter the waters of baptism.
My last few hours in Liberty were spent at the Liberty Jail. We only had one presentation that day-President Keyes bring in 24 new missionaries. I was really grateful S. Lewis gave me the chance to take the presentation. I felt edified and uplifted; a great way to end my time there.
Thursday morning was transfer day. All my stuff (I've really got to get rid of lots of stuff) was ready to go at 7:00 am. The Stevenson's picked up S. Lewis and I and drove us to Independence. For transfers, all the missionaries in the area being transferred meet at the Independence Stake Center. You either meet your new companion or get on the transfer bus that takes you to your new area that is far away. I was transferred to the Independence 1st Ward (I've beein serving in the Liberty 1st Ward) with Sister Stobbe (stow-be). She is really great. She is from Provo, UT and has been out one transfer less than me. (Weird; I'm a senior companion!) Our ward (Inde 1st) has a LARGE population of Polynesian people. it is so hard trying to remember and pronounce all their names! Thank goodness they are all friendly people and willing to be patient with me... I may or may not have born my testimony telling them they'd have to remind me 2 or 3 or 5 times before I rememberd who they were. I'm really excited to be here, though. I'm excited to work with the Polynesian population; they are a fun, loving, accepting people. I'm a bit nervous about the amount of food that they may want me to eat, though.
S. Stobbe and I are also the missionaries over the singles branch in the area. I'm actually really excited about this, too. There are only about 30 people in the branch (much easier to remember them all) but they seem to be very missionary minded and willing/ready to help out the missionary efforts in the area.
It's different being at the VC. Because there are more sisters there is more order (aka: rules) that have to be followed for the VC to run smoothly. I understand the purpose and will strive to be obedient and diligent but miss the informality of the Liberty Jail. I also REALLY miss the senior couples from the Jail; the Stevenson's and the Simper's. They come down sometimes to serve at the VC but I don't get to see them as much. I didn't realize how much I had grown to care for and love them. I was truly blessed to be able to start my mission by serving near them.
Well, there's not too much more to tell you about the area. I'm still trying to learn it and put faces to all the names I hear. I am so grateful for each of you and the prayers I can feel you sending up in my behalf. I love each of you and know that our Heavenly Father loves you, too. Being a missionary is a hard work but the most rewarding thing I've done. It wouldn't be nearly as easy without you there supporting me the way you do. Again, I love you all!
Hugs and Kisses!
Sister Wilson
1--At the 8 witnesses monument with the Simper's
2--FHE with the Ruis family (S. Lewis, Julio, Veronica, Nonnie, Avel, AB, Me)
3--See! I need to throw SOMETHING away!
4--S. Stobbe and me
 
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment