Wednesday, December 12, 2012

December 12

Hello, everyone! It has been an amazing week! Lots of spiritual experiences to share! Saturday evening we went around visiting some less active members of the ward. We had a great excuse of inviting them to the ward Christmas party. We visited the Mawby family but didn't have any expectations of getting in the house-they haven't really been open before. Sister Mawby opened the door; we've never met her. We spent a great 45 minutes with her! She is a fantastic lady! She was very open about why they are inactive and the fact that they need to get back to church. She told us she'd come to the party and bring us rolls that she makes-yum! Well, we were getting ready to leave and I knew I HAD to share a lesson--it's part of my training. I was taking the lead in all teaching situations this week. I gave her a Christmas message in Isaiah 9:6 and let her know my favorite part of Christmas is serving others because we learn to love them and, thus, draw closer to our Heavenly Father. Oh, goodness! I opened a flood gate! It was such a great experience. The spirit was so strong. Sister Mawby requested a prayer before we left and promised she'd see us at the Christmas party. Yeah!
ERNESTINE GOT BAPTIZED ON SUNDAY!!! It was so amazing! Not only did we have a full house (in the R.S. room) but the program went off without a flaw. Some of Ernestine's family, who are non-members) came and were extremely touched by the Spirit. I had the privilege of watching from the sidelines as Ernestine was baptized and be the one to hold the towel. She came out of the water so happy and joyful and teary. She knew that her son was there with her (he had died exactly one year ago) and could feel his presence. She joined me in the changing room and just sobbed with joy. (It's really hard to comfort a soaking wet woman!) She was the cleanest, purest person that I knew and I was able to be there with her. I have a testimony of the gospel but to see the transformation and change so evident in someone was a special experience for me. When Ernestine came out of the water I felt the Savior's love and comfort for ME. I saw the atonement at work and had a visual of what it actually does. I was honored to be a part of Ernestine's day. She had asked me to the talk on the Holy Ghost and I think I did well. I related an experience I had last week with her. I had been sick and not feeling well at all one evening. A few days later, when I was feeling better, we met with Ernestine again. She said she knew I had not be feeling well because there was no sparkle in my eyes (Mom, don't you say I'm sick because of my eyes?) That statement really stuck with me through the lesson and the coming week. I watched and observed Ernestine every time I had met with her. I let her know during my talk that I had seen her countenance change. That I could see Christ's image in her countenance (Alma 5:14) and that the Holy Ghost was the one who had testified to her of the truth and would continue to do so. I don't really know what else I said but felt good about it after. Sister Coplan later told me she had heard a bunch of Holy Ghost talks but that mine was the best she had ever heard-it was interesting and engaging the entire time. Elder Stevenson told me he was tearing up through out my talk and later made the statement that they should have video taped it to show at the MTC, to mission presidents, and to my parents to show them how far I had come. What in the world did I say?!
 
I love you all and am grateful and blessed to have each of you as family. I know I'm in the right place at the right time doing the right thing. It's not easy but it's the best thing I could do. I'll keep you in my prayers. LOVE YOU!
Sister Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment